Last week I had a sushi craving. The problem was that A) I’m lazy, and didn’t want to actually make sushi rice, and B) I don’t really want to be scarfing down white rice all that often. So what did I do? I turned this:
- Nori sheets
- Whatever veggies you are using for your filling (I used carrot and cucumber cut into matchsticks…but use your imagination!)
- Half of a green cabbage, shredded
1. First things first, lightly steam your cabbage. I put my shredded cabbage into a skillet with a thin layer of water and covered with a lid. I let it steam for around 5 minutes.
2. The ‘sushi’ will be easiest to roll while the cabbage is still warm. Take your nori sheet and lay it down on a sushi mat. Place the steamed cabbage on the lower one third portion. Lay your other veggies on top.
4. Slice the sushi into 6 pieces. My end pieces always look kind of ugly, but whatever, they still taste good.
5. I served mine with soy sauce, sriracha, and sesame seeds. Other options include wasabi, pickled ginger, or whatever else your heart desires.